Thursday 19 June 2014

Part 1 - The Purchase

Note the incorrect exhaust and re-engineered head.
After a mad hour on eBay I found myself to be the proud owner of a 1979 Suzuki TS250. The TS250 is a bike I had wished I had owned back in the seventies. Nostalgia, or possibly a mid-life crisis, insisted I buy the bike.
It's not clear in the picture but the engine casing is home made.

The bike looks pretty good in the images, and £320 may seem cheap. A closer inspection showed that what I had was a reasonable project rather than a reasonable bike.

A bread basket full of oddments was included along with the all important original high-level exhaust.

The engine turned on the kick start but there was clearly something not right. I opted to remove the barrel for a closer look.

The engine needed a rebuild with +0.5 re-bore, new piston, main bearings and con rod. In addition the home made casings would need to be replaced along with a few other items.

Like I said, a reasonable project.

A bread basket full of bits.
The all important original exhaust.

No comments:

Post a Comment