Saturday 13 September 2014

Part 8 - The Battery Box

The battery box was not supplied with the bike when I purchased it and these are near impossible to obtain so I decided I would make one. After looking at the parts catalogue I could see that two variants were used for the 1979/80 vintage. I opted to copy the simpler of the two.


1979 Battery Box
This still seemed a tad complex to build from scratch so a simplified version was mocked out of cardboard.



This was then measured and drawn (very roughly)...




A local fabrication company created a copy in mild steel. I was very fortunate in that my brother-in-law Geoff works for the company. He arranged the work and gave me the item as a birthday present along with a few beers. Is that not the best birthday present ever?

I am guessing that if you don't know my brother-in-law Geoff, you may have to grease a palm or two.



With a little tidying up and a few genuine Suzuki grommets it is ready to offer up.

All tidies up.
Perfect git.
The item fits perfectly and the battery fits very neatly inside. Naturally, this will be removed, de-grommeted, primed, enamelled and refitted with the battery inside. Nice!


No comments:

Post a Comment